Hunger strike in Cuba
We run various sites in defense of human rights and need support to pay for more powerful servers. Thank you.
November 2013
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
Translate
EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish
Archives
Recent Comments

    Cuban dissident rejects offer, continues hunger strike

    Posted on Saturday, 11.09.13

    Cuban dissident rejects offer, continues hunger strike
    BY JUAN O. TAMAYO
    JTAMAYO@ELNUEVOHERALD.COM

    The wife of a Cuban dissident and rapper hospitalized amid a lengthy
    hunger strike said Friday that he rejected an offer by a top State
    Security official to fully investigate his complaint that he was
    unfairly jailed if he first dropped the protest.

    Angel Yunier Remón Arzuaga, 30, was fitted with a large-bore port on his
    neck Friday at the Carlos Manuel de Céspedes Hospital so he can receive
    more intravenous liquids, said his wife, Yudisbel Roselló Mojena.

    Doctors told her that he remains in critical condition in an intensive
    care unit and could fall into a coma because his vital signs are
    dropping, the 20-year-old Roselló told El Nuevo Herald by phone from the
    hospital in the eastern city of Bayamo.

    Remón is coordinator for the dissident Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU) in
    the cities of Bayamo and Manzanillo, and goes by the name of El Critico
    in the rapping duo Los Hijos que Nadie Quiso – The Sons that No One Wanted.

    A State Security lieutenant colonel who arrived from Havana told the
    dissident Wednesday that his complaint that he had been unfairly jailed
    since March 26, but could not be properly investigated unless he halted
    the hunger strike, Roselló said.

    Remón told the officer that he would not call off the hunger strike
    unless he is freed unconditionally, she added.

    He stopped eating solid foods in mid-September, stopped taking liquids
    two weeks ago but later resumed, and was taken from prison to the Carlos
    Manuel de Cespedes Hospital on Oct. 29, according to reports from fellow
    dissidents.

    Prosecutors accused Remón of repeatedly kicking State Security Maj.
    Julio Cesar Sánchez Fonseca, who led police and a riot squad on a raid
    of his home on March 26. They are seeking an eight-year prison sentence.

    Roselló said her husband did not attack Sanchez and did not try to
    defend himself as the State Security official and others forced him to
    the ground and wrested away a camera that Remón was using to film the raid.

    Government-organized mobs had staged what are known as “acts of
    repudiation” outside his home four days in a row, throwing rocks, chunks
    of asphalt and a dead cat at his house, according to UNPACU executive
    secretary Jose Daniel Ferrer.

    An UNPACU video of the confrontations posted on You Tube shows several
    bystanders applauding as Remón used the asphalt to write “Down with the
    dictatorship” on huge letters on the street, Ferrer added.

    Roselló said her husband had been beaten in prison by guards and
    prisoners, had been confined in windowless punishment cells and had come
    down with a case of cholera, a serious diarrheic disease making the
    rounds of Cuba.

    Three imprisoned dissidents have died amid lengthy hunger strikes in the
    past three years: Orlando Zapata Tamayo in 2010 and Wilman Villar in
    early 2012. Opposition activist Juan Wilfredo Soto died in 2011 after
    complaining of a severe police beating.

    Source: “Cuban dissident rejects offer, continues hunger strike – Cuba –
    MiamiHerald.com” –
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/09/3740488/cuban-dissident-rejects-offer.html#storylink=misearch

    Tags: , , , ,

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *