Hunger strike in Cuba
We run various sites in defense of human rights and need support to pay for more powerful servers. Thank you.
August 2016
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Sep »
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
Archives
Recent Comments

    Cuban dissident briefly hospitalized, hunger strike in third week

    Cuban dissident briefly hospitalized, hunger strike in third week
    Posted 06 Aug 2016 07:00

    HAVANA: Veteran Cuban dissident Guillermo Farinas was briefly
    hospitalized in Santa Clara on Friday after losing consciousness in his
    home on the 16th day of a hunger strike to protest government
    repression, his opposition organisation said.

    This was the second time the 54-year-old Farinas, who has staged more
    than 20 similar actions over the years, was rushed to receive medical
    attention and intravenous liquids since starting the hunger strike after
    what he said was a beating by police in his home city of Santa Clara in
    central Cuba.

    Farinas, who received the European Union’s Sakharov Prize for Freedom of
    Thought in 2010, is demanding that such beatings cease and a meeting
    between dissidents and the government to negotiate an end to repression.

    Farinas returned home from a hospital after being there for more than
    seven hours, Juan Carlos Ruiz, a member of Farinas’ organisation, the
    Frente Antitotalitario Unido (the United Antitotalitarian Front), said
    in a telephone interview from the dissident’s home.

    “They gave him an intravenous solution. But already he is recovering and
    right now sleeping,” he said.

    More than a dozen other dissidents around the country, mainly members of
    an opposition organisation called the Patriotic Union of Cuba (UPACU) in
    the eastern part of the country, also are on hunger strikes, with at
    least two members hospitalized, according to opposition groups.

    A few of the UPACU members began their hunger strikes earlier than
    Farinas, also to protest repression.

    Farinas has been a vocal critic of the detente between the United States
    and Cuba that began in December 2014, when he said dissidents should
    have been included in secret talks preceding it that he called a betrayal.

    Last week, the U.S. State Department voiced concern about the condition
    of Farinas and other hunger strikers, and urged Cuba’s government to
    take action.

    “We stand in solidarity with those who advocate for human rights and
    fundamental freedoms, including freedom of expression and the right to
    peaceful assembly,” State Department spokesman John Kirby said.

    Communist-run Cuba calls all political opponents U.S. mercenaries with
    no popular following.

    Dissidents are relatively free to talk among themselves, travel abroad
    and publish on the internet, though their posts are blocked within the
    country.

    However, Cuban opposition efforts to organise political protests and
    engage in civil disobedience are regularly met by harassment, mobs of
    government supporters, temporary detentions and occasional imprisonment.

    (Additional reporting by Nelson Acosta; Editing by Will Dunham)

    – Reuters

    Source: Cuban dissident briefly hospitalized, hunger strike in third
    week – Channel NewsAsia –
    www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/cuban-dissident-briefly-h/3019390.html

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *